Who doesn’t like a good 1-800 number, especially one that is easy to remember? Here are a few that I like:
- 800-ASK-BLUE (this is for Independence Blue Cross, the Philly-based licensee of Blue Cross)
- 800-DOG-POOP (a service that cleans up the dog poop in your yard)
- 800-JUNK-USA (a junk removal service)
- 800-GOT-JUNK (a junk removal service)
- 800-FLOWERS (flower delivery service)
- 800-I-GO-HOJO (reservation number for Howard Johnson hotels)
But I think my favorite is 1-800-PICK-UPS.
It’s got a couple of things going for it.
First, the name of the company is in the phone number, making it a bit easier to remember.
Second, and this is what I really like, the number could take on a couple of different meanings. If you say PICK followed by spelling out UPS, it is suggesting that a customer should pick UPS over a rival such as Fed Ex. Alternatively, one could say each part as two words, PICk followed by UPS. Since that is what they are in the business of doing, picking things up, then the phone number reinforces what the company does.
So congrats to the creative geniuses at UPS who thought up the 800 number.
It got me thinking of an 800 number I could use, and came up with the following:
- 800-ACC-PROF (for the accounting teacher in me)
- 800-I-AM-INTJ (in reference to my Meyers-Brigg personality type)
- 800-I-JUGGLE (well, at least I used to)
- 800-SWIMMER (before that Phelps guy grabs it)
- 800-WP-STATS (in honor of my love of WordPress stats)
*image from Business Facilities