I’m sure most of it was Restaurant Server 101 sort of stuff:
- greeting us with a smile
- confirming our order before she left the table
- returning promptly with our drinks
- cleaning the table when a very small part of one of the drinks spilled over the top
- quickly finding us a table inside to move to when it started to rain outside
- checking in to let us know our food would be served soon
- bringing us water without asking
- asking us right after our food had been delivered if everything was correct
- coming back shortly afterward to ask how everything was
- asking one last time if there was anything else we needed, and then returning promptly with the check (this last one is one that really bugs me)
- laughing, well, at least smiling, at one of my stupid jokes
If you look at the list, there is nothing out of the ordinary about it.
But when someone pulls it all together, which in my experience is a rare event, it makes for a pleasant and memorable experience.
So hopefully, both our word of thanks and our tip, were enough to show our gratitude for a job well done.
*image from Glassdoor.com