If I worked for a newspaper, I’d want to be the guy who writes headlines.
If I worked for an ad agency, I’d want to be the guy who comes up with a slogan or a jingle.
So perhaps it’s no surprise that my favorite part of writing my blog is coming up with the headline.
Typically I save the headline writing until the end, after the blog is written and I’ve got my image, and I try to come up with something catchy that captures what the post is about but also captures readers’ attention.
Other times I’ll come up with an idea for a blog post, and try to write the headline first to give me something to focus on once I begin writing.
We’ve probably all seen headlines that were quite clever and as a result, they capture our attention and we start to read the story. Other times, headlines make us laugh, either because it has a good pun in it, or simply sates something that makes no sense. And then there are the ones that have errors in them and make us wonder ho it got past the editors.
I thought it would be fun to do a little searching and find some headlines that fall into one of these categories:
- Homicide Victims Rarely Talk to Police
- ‘We Hate Math’ Say 4 in 10 – a Majority of Americans
- Breathing Oxygen Linked to Staying Alive
- Statistics Show That Teen Pregnancy Drops Off Significantly After Age 25
- Marijuana Issue Sent to Joint Committee
- China May Be Using Sea to Hide Submarines
- Federal Agents Raid Gun Shop, Find Weapons
- Diana Was Still Alive Hours Before She Died
- Man Kills Himself and Runs Away
- Think of a Headline: 56 Point Bold Headline
- World Bank Says Poor Need More Money
- Bugs Flying Around with WIngs Are Flying Bugs
- One-Armed Man Applauds the Kindness of Strangers
- Bridges Help People Cross Rivers
- Missippi’s Literacy Program Shows Improvement
- Rooms With Broken Air Conditioners Are Hot
- State Population to Double by 2040, Babies to Babies to Blame
- Greenland Meteorite May Be From Space
- Miracle Cure Kills Fifth Patient
- Yellow Object Spotted in Sky (this might be my favorite)
- Man Found Dead in Graveyard
- Schoolgirl Crushed by Tree Made Everyone Happy
- Opera Singer Can’t Stop Farting After Surgery, Loses Job
- Planes Forced to Land at Airports
- Arizona Psychic Hit by Car Says He Never Saw It Coming
- Iceberg Lettuce Hit by Titanic Rise in Price
And the world of sports deserves its own category for the great headlines it has produced. Unfortunately, many of the great sports headlines I can’t repeat here in my family-friendly blog. Here are some of the tamer ones I have found:
- USA Wins 1-1
- Tiger Admits: I’m a Cheetah
- Super Caley Go Ballistic Celtic Are Atrocious ( after Inverness Caledonian Thistle’s shocking 3-1 Scottish Cup win over Celtic in February 2000 in a soccer match)
Baseball Pitcher Bartolo Colon has had several headlines taking advantage of his last name:
- Colon Stinky after Yankees Pounded 16-7
- Rangers Get Whiff of Colon
- Cleveland’s Colon Has Emerged Smelling Like a Rose
- Report: MLB Examining Colon Operation
and once again, some that can’t be repeated.
Who wouldn’t want a job coming up with such gems?
*image from The Daily Edge