I just read a story in HuffPost in which a couple had a gender reveal party at which the parents detonated (that word and gender reveal party should not go together) 80 pounds of Tannerite, an explosive target typically used for firearms practice.
Several New Hampshire towns as well as parts of northern Massachusetts were rocked by the ground-shaking blast. One couple who live next to the quarry where the detonation took place said the blast knocked pictures off their walls and cracked the foundations of their neighbors’ homes.
This is not the first I’ve heard of gender reveal events not turning out as expected, so I thought I’d round up a few of the more outrageous ones.
Thankfully, and as might be expected, Buzzfeed already did the work for me. So I’ll just provide a list of a dozen of my favorite headlines, and if you want to read the details, or see more of these epic fails, here is the link to the Buzzfeed article.
One thing I noticed, and you’ll see this in the headlines below, is that it may be better if the dad-to-be didn’t show up at these events.
Gender Reveal Fails
- Australian gender reveal party goes wrong as car bursts into flames
- Dad Accidentally Smashes Pregnant Mom in the Face With a Bat During a Gender Reveal Gone Wrong
- Partygoers thought they’d built a clever gender reveal device. It turned out to be a deadly pipe bomb
- Three charged in 2017 mass shooting at Ohio gender reveal party for woman who wasn’t pregnant
- Gender reveal party’ triggers 47,000-acre wildfire causing $8m of damage
- Florida couple uses huge pet alligator to reveal gender of 10th child (you just knew Florida would make the list)
- Tree Falls On Dad-To-Be At Gender Reveal Party
- Dad Breaks Ankle During Gender Reveal On Father’s Day
- Gender Reveal Baseball Hits Grandfather in the Face, Covering Him in Blue Powder
- Famous Youtuber Revealed the Gender of Her Baby Via Colored Fart (yes, you read that correctly)
- Disappointed husband slammed ‘sexist’ for storming out of a gender reveal party
- It’s a boy? This NJ pizza chain serves up blue lasagna for that gender reveal party (I don’t think I could eat it.)
All I can say is, what is wrong with people. Our gender reveal party was calling up friends and family when our babies were born.