Here’s part of her comment: “By the way, have you ever blogged about this President’s administration’s achievements?”
Here was my response:
Margy, your comment really made me think. I’ve just spent the past 30 minutes searching through my six years of posts to see what I have written about President Trump and President Obama. While I have always been upfront about my political beliefs, I’ve always tried to avoid getting down into the mud when talking about politics or politicians. I did find a few posts that praised President Obama, and a few that expressed my dislike for President Trump, but hopefully not in a way that would be considered nasty. So your comment has challenged me to write a post that highlights all the successes that President Trump has had over four years.
So I thought I would use this post to share some of the accomplishments of President Trump since he became President. I did some Google searching and came across a few different sites that offered takes on what President Trump has accomplished. The first couple of lists I came across was one from the White House, while another was from The New York Times. I thought each of these might come across as a bit biased, as one is coming from the Office of the President, and the other is a fact-checked list of a social media posting of all of President Trump’s accomplishments, from what most people consider to be a liberal newspaper. I’ve provided the links for anyone who may want to read them, but they will not be the basis for this post.
Instead, I found this compact list from a letter to the editor someone wrote in the St. Louis Post Dispatch earlier today. Here are the key accomplishments noted:
- The stock market reached a record high.
- He raised tariffs on products from China to bring back manufacturing jobs.
- Early on, he banned travel from China.
- He insisted NATO allies pay their fair share.
- He removed restrictive regulations on businesses, allowing more, better-paying jobs.
- Before the pandemic, the economy had low unemployment, even for minorities.
- He instigated new agreements between Middle East countries.
- He approved the killing of top terrorists and brought soldiers home.
- He asked manufacturing companies to retool and manufacture ventilators, providing thousands for us and others and partnered with the private sector to provide testing and protective equipment.
- He encouraged drug companies to work fast to provide new vaccines and medications that might soon be available.
I don’t feel qualified to comment on most of these, but I will agree that the stock market has done quite well; the early ban on travel from China was a good move; we had, before COVID, record unemployment; the agreements between Middle East countries look promising; getting companies to retool and focus on manufacturing goods during the early stages of the pandemic seemed to be the right move; and the drug companies do seem to be working quickly to develop vaccines for COVID.
So congrats to the President for these accomplishments.
Despite these accomplishments, as I noted in a post earlier this week, I have opted to vote for Joe Biden. I think he is the right person for the job at this moment in time…
Feel free to use the comments to add more accomplishments or to question any that I, or others, may list. All I ask is that your comments are made in a respectful way…
*image from Fortune