The word billion seems to figure prominently in my writings this week.
A couple of days ago I wrote about the 10 music videos that have accumulated more than one billion views on YouTube, and today I’m writing about the incredible increase in wealth that many tech titans experienced yesterday as a result of a rally in the market for tech stocks.
In case you haven’t heard about this, here’s a breakdown of how much the wealth of the following individuals increased in just one day (yesterday):
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon – $2.9 billion
- Sergey Brin, Google (Alphabet) – $2.4 billion
- Larry Page, Google (Alphabet) – $2.5 billion
- Steve Ballmer, Microsoft – $1.6 billion
- Bill Gates, Microsoft – $1.1 billion
- Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook – $1.1 billion
Jeff Bezos is now the third richest American, behind Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.
The boon in tech stocks yesterday also means that five of the largest firms by market capitalization are now tech firms – Apple (1), Alphabet/Google (2), Microsoft (3), Facebook (7), and Amazon (8).
So yesterday was a good day to be part of the tech sector, particularly if you were lucky enough to get in on the ground floor of one these firms, or even better, if you were the one that started such a firm.