I can thank the wonderful blogger Jen at Bossybabe for the idea of this post.
Jen had left a comment on a recent post of mine that looked at brand names, noting that how some bands take an ordinary word and use it in a different way. She used the examples of KORN and Coldplay.
So that got me thinking of odd band names, and I guess I am not the first person to have such a thought.
When I typed “strangest band names” in Google, there were over 1,000,000 responses.
After combing carefully through all one million, here is my list of the strangest names for a band, in no particular order. This first group comes from an online post:
- Camper Van Beethoven
- Congratulations on Your Decision to Become a Pilot
- Let’s Eat Grandma (purposely leaving out a comma)
- Let’s Get Out Of This Terrible Sandwich Shop
- Natalie Portman’s Shaved Head
- Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin
- Toad the Wet Sprocket
- Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (ABWH) (reminds me of the law firm on the Three Stooges: Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
It took a while to find a song to include with this post, since I wanted to choose a song from one of these bands. I made the mistake of going in the order I have listed above (which is the order they appeared in the two sources I used) and I was getting nervous because nothing really caught my attention. The songs from ABWH are OK, but they were a bit long.
Fortunately, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. (now known as Jr. Jr.) came through with the song Gone, which I found quite good.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. was formed in late 2009 in Detroit, Michigan, by members Joshua Epstein and Daniel Zott. The band also includes drummer Mike Higgins. The band initially began as a basement recording project with few intentions of reaching the public. On July 15, 2015, the band announced that they had renamed themselves to JR JR. According to ESPN The Magazine, Dale Earnhardt Jr. is a fan. The band emailed him to assure him they were not making fun of him and sent him a few samples of their music. (Wikipedia)
- 21 Unusual Band Names You’ll Wish You Came Up With
- 13 Dumbest Band Names in Rock History
- Ranker – but I am not going to provide a link because many of the names are just too gross to repeat here. Yes, Borden’s Blather does have some standards…
*image from Wikipedia